I love greens. Really. I do.
I don’t think I’ve met one I haven’t enjoyed. But I know not everyone feels this way. Many of my clients share they can get bored of regular old salads and -gasp, even kale.
Here’s the deal, leafy greens are pretty much the best thing you can eat. They’re loaded with vitamins, minerals and disease-fighting phytonutrients. They are amazing and no matter what your health goal is, you need to be eating them.
So today I want to share with you 3 of my fave leafy greens recipes. My apple, fennel & goat cheese salad, roasted squash and sauteed beet greens, and my go-to kale recipe (for people who say they don’t like kale). Yes, you can eat those beet tops. Don’t through them away! They are delish.
Roasted butternut squash & beet greens
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 bunch beet greens
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Drizzle of EVOO or truffle oil
Preheat the oven to oven to 425F/ 220C
On a large baking sheet, toss together the squash, 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil, a pinch of salt, and black pepper to taste. Spread into an even layer. Roast, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender- about 30 min.
While squash is roasting prepare the onion and beet greens. Heat the 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil in a large saute pan. Add the onion; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low.
Strip the beet greens off the stalks and discard the stalks. (I like to keep them for juicing). Stack the greens and cut into strips. Add the beet greens to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Tossing occasionally, cook until slightly wilted but still “green” 2-5 min.
Remove the squash from the oven and top with greens. Drizzle with olive oil or truffle oil-This tastes delicious on its own, but the addition truffle oil…waahooo!!
Apple, Fennel & Goat cheese salad
- 1 bag spring mix
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 1 medim fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup maple roasted pecans
- 1/2 cup crumbled organic goat cheese
Mix ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with salad dressing.
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 clove of garlic minced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Give one of these recipes a try for your next weeknight dinner…..and tag me in your pics.
And if you know anyone who would dig these recipes, please share!